[Noisebridge-discuss] 240V in the space?

jim jim at well.com
Fri Sep 28 20:51:12 UTC 2012

    What is the current draw for your vacuum pump?

    Look around the space and you'll see several sub-panels:
* There's a sub-panel in the kitchen area: follow its
supply pipe and you'll see it is fed from a sub-panel in
the western portion of the north wall, just outside of the
elevator entrance area.
* There's a sub-panel in the sewing machine area: follow
its supply pipe and you'll see it is fed from the same
sub-panel outside the elevator entrance area.
* There's a sub-panel in the "dirty workshop": follow its
supply pi;e to the same sub-panel outside the elevator
entrance area.

    The sub-panel outside the elevator entrance area is the
primary distribution panel for a three-phase supply that
has its main shutoff in the basement.
    While its possible to use two "legs" to get a kind of
split phase 220, that may or may not work for your device.

    Just outside the doorway into the space from the stairs
is another sub-panel. It is the primary distribution panel
for a split-phase supply that has its main shutoff in the
basement.

    Assuming your vacuum pump takes less than 20 amps, it is
probably easiest, all-in-all, to connect your machine to 220
split-phase from a pair of branches that come from the
sub-panel at the top of the stairs outside the entrance door
to the space.
    To do that will require that someone (possibly me)
identifies some wires that come from that split-phase
distribution panel (above the stairs...) and ensure that
there are two branches (one red, one black) that are
controlled by a two-pole breaker and presented in the proper
receptacle (that matches the plug on your vacuum pump).

    If you like, email me off-list to coordinate.