[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: Some interesting thoughts on "benevolent sexism"

Ken M. Haggerty kenmhaggerty at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 17:01:33 UTC 2013

I don't think most people are maleficent, and is difficult as it might be I
would encourage every one of us to point out whenever someone we're with
does something like this. You don't have to berate, and you don't have to
scold, but a lot of times people just have *no idea* how they come off.

For me, I'm always happy to see diversity of thought and experiences in any
space and always regret when correlation is confused as causation which is
then used as a tool to be discriminatory. Whenever anyone is genuinely him-
or herself and is comfortable being so is great. In that sense I hope(?)
that said person from your own experience is astonishedly please at your
technical prowess not because of your abilities but because the community
hasn't ostracized you for not fitting their stereotypes / "culture." This
is of course very different from the examples given in the SciAm article.

-Ken