[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: Some interesting thoughts on "benevolent sexism"

Snail snailtsunami at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 22:32:16 UTC 2013

[top-posting like a fiend]

It's talking about CONFIDENCE being the real indicator of performance, not
SEX.

Men feel more confident doing tasks like these because they've been told
all their lives that it's their special Y-chromosome-given talent.

Women lack confidence in these fields when men and women repeatedly tell
them that they aren't going to be any good, which is exactly what you are
doing, which is why we are all pissed off.

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 4/5/13, Darius Garza <313kid at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Interesting how googling "mental rotation and sex" confirms that this is
> > merely a socialized discrepancy:
> > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22130691
> > .
> That abstract doesn't imply anything of the sort.
> --
> Garrett
> Twitter: @xkit
> personx.tumblr.com

-Snailssnailssnailssnailssnailssnailssnails