[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: Some interesting thoughts on "benevolent sexism"

Lyra elevin at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 5 23:01:58 UTC 2013

So I tend to just write off people like Garrett Smith - their opinion is
not useful or valid to me so why waste cycles feeding the trolls?  However,
Merlin's link on Stereotype Threat clarified what is bad about that
behavior. This isn't a small, vocal, but ultimately powerless group that
thinks this way. This is a lot of people, some very intelligent, some very
powerful.

Instead of bothering with this  fruitless argument with Garrett, let's look
at ways we can combat the source of the problem. Calling people out on
unnoticed bad behavior is one way. Pro active and empowering education
opportunities are an excellent one too (for adults and especially for
children). Further thoughts?

Lyra

Sent en route, pardon the brevity.