[Noisebridge-discuss] Benevolent Sexism

Liz Henry lizhenry at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 21:11:25 UTC 2013

it is very telling to me when people step in to help me because I'm
disabled or they offer help, but when I refuse the help, they get *angry*.
Often I can see their anger ready, even before I refuse,  like they expect
me to refuse it and are already gearing up to lash out.  It is about them
and their feelings.

(In fact what is usually happening is a person opens a door "for me" while
they stand right exactly in my way. I am required to be grateful and
gracious and gender does play into that as well as disability. )

If someone really wanted to be helpful they would not be pre-loaded with
resentment, and they would listen when the object of their "help" says no I
don't want any help thanks.

So, is it that you want to offer help, or is it that you want to be **the
sort of person who helps ---  and gets thanked**. If it is about you, you
have to tamp it down, basic principle of respect and human decency here.

I certainly wish that it were not so complex.  I very much like it when
people are helpful, and I also like to be helpful to others.  Usually that
includes communicating and listening.

Link I hear you on your intentions being good but your actions exist in a
social context, right?

- liz

Liz Henry
lhenry at mozilla.com