[Noisebridge-discuss] [RFC] Noisegate Web app prototype

Josh Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 22:20:03 UTC 2013

On Apr 7, 2013, at 11:54 AM, Garrett Smith wrote:

> On 4/7/13, Josh Juran <jjuran at gmail.com> wrote:
>> [RFC == Request For Comments]
>>
>> In the interest of supporting Noisebridgers not running Android, I'm
>> developing an implementation of Noisegate in DHTML (which might be
>> better known by its marketing name "HTML5", although Noisegate
>> doesn't use any features introduced by HTML version 5).
>>
>> So far, I have a user interface that works in (at least some) desktop
>> browsers.
>
> Why not just use an INPUT element? Should work everywhere.

Because I'm generally seeking to duplicate the experience of
Noisegate for Android, and specifically targeting users with iPhones,
for whom using the standard keyboard would be suboptimal and for whom
it's difficult to provide a native app.

However, I've provided an <input> element that shows up if scripting
is disabled, so it should work just fine in Lynx, NCSA Mosaic, or
Netscape 1.1N.[1]  Or for people who aren't interested in the
"experience" and just want a simple form. :-)

The form is wired up to pony.noisebridge.net.  The CGI script emits
an empty document body at the moment, but I think it should work.
Let me know.

> Nit: better compatibility with IE for   as id="code" first child.
> (IE drops text nodes)

Okay, done.

Thanks for the feedback!

Josh

[1] Actually, you'd probably get <script> contents leaking onto the
page, but that can be fixed.