[Noisebridge-discuss] The door situation is not working.

Kellan Jacobs kellan at grokbsd.com
Wed Apr 10 00:34:01 UTC 2013

Hey Everyone,

I have a few thoughts on this. First I should state that I am one of
those people who donated during the pledge drive and I have been
teaching the Python class at NB since the beginning. First while I like
what your trying to do Danny with having the NB101 sessions. While I
love the idea of the class I would take issue with this being used as a
litmus test to give people access to the building.

In my own case I have been teaching at NB and contributing to the
community for quite some time now. I feel I have put in my time helping
make noisebridge a better place. Being forced to attend a 5 week class
just so I can contribute to my community after having done so for so
long is asking a little much.

Secondly in your fundraising email you stated that any donation of $10
or more would award you with a key to NB. While I donated out of NB
need, I am sure there are many that made the decision because of this
promise. To back out on your promise now after you received the funds
from us is not only unfair but bait and switch. Maybe this class could
be offered going forward.

Third - I would like to comment on the general idea of the door code. I
think the idea of giving door codes to paying members of the community
is general a good idea. We can simply deactivate their code when they
choose to stop paying membership.

Lastly - As one of the noisebridge instructors I have had times when the
door is broken or no one will answer it. I have had to call one of my
students and have them come and let me into the space so I could teach
our class. This is simply not ok. There needs to be a some trusted
people who have keys to NB.

Moving forward I think NB Should honor the requests door codes for those
who contributed. It is the right thing to do, but I think having a
better policy going forward would be perfectly ok.

Lastly in picking this process I want to tell you the reason it took me
so long to financially support noisebridge. The process is simply too
difficult. I have often looked at the membership page and thought about
becoming a full dues paying member. But the process is way too hard. I
can access the space without contributing but to contribute I have to
jump through a bunch of hoops. I am currently paying the 80 membership
fee, but I don't know if I can find two people who are actual members to
sponsor me. Everyone I have asked are not actual paying members. The
reason I bring this up is that when you are making this new door
code/key policy please remember my reasons for not contributing and
consider it when making the new policy. Please make one that is not too
much work. We want to be a welcoming and open place and making too many
rules in an anarchy to keep people out is just not the way to build a
community.

Thanks,

Kellan Jacobs

On 9 Apr 2013, at 15:53, Danny O'Brien wrote:

> [...]
>> other unpleasantries.  It's a low bar i'm setting, but it's better
>> than
>> propping the door open, which is effectively what we've been doing.
>>

>> Yeah, but the problem is that lots of people like coming to visit us.
>>> Almost none of them are bad people. The bad people will (and have)
>>> worked
>>> out ways of getting keys or codes, or whatever.
>>>

>> I think it's great that people come to visit.  I look forward to the
>> day
>> when MORE NOISEBRIDGE PEOPLE hang out at noisebridge, having a good
>> time,
>> rather than being repelled by its occupation by people from "the
>> street".
>>
>> When MORE NOISEBRIDGE PEOPLE hang out at noisebridge, visitors
>> ringing the
>> doorbell will NOT be ignored but instead NOISEBRIDGE PEOPLE will rush
>> the camera and intercom to see who is there, and welcome them in with
>> proper introduction.  If whoever is there can't be bothered to say
>> hello
>> through the intercom, or is recognized by one of the several
>> NOISEBRIDGE
>> PEOPLE as a sleeper or stealer or just known to be not interesting
>> enough
>> to buzz in, those people will talk about it and perhaps tell the
>> person
>> that Noisebridge isn't here right now so they can't come in.
>>

>> The accepted cultural fix for this is to encourage people to greet
>> and
>>> check out people. But I agree that locking new people out is not a
>>> great
>>> side-effect of trying to encourage this.
>>>

>> If there is nobody at noisebridge with a code willing to let new
>> people
>> in, or willing to go down the steps to let people in, then it's not a
>> good
>> time for those people to get a good impression of noisebridge, don't
>> you
>> agree?  I would rather they fail to enter at 2am on a friday night
>> and
>> instead come back saturday afternoon when hackers are up and hanging
>> out
>> and eager to give them a tour.  Also if those people get on IRC
>> someone can
>> remotely let them in if they have a code.
>>
>> the fact is, our extreme open-door policy has allowed too many people
>> whose habits and presence discourages our core membership demographic
>> from
>> wanting to be at noisebridge.  That is a problem worth solving.
>>

>> 5. There is a switch on the intercom to turn off the doorbell, if it
>>>>

>>> I don't think anyone understands all of those switches. I don't.
>>>

>> there is only one switch and it is very clearly labeled.  In english!
>>

>> 6. I will be adding an automatic mute for the doorbell, which turns
>>>>

>>> Why is this a good idea? This just seems to be stopping people who
>>> from coming in, based on how grumpy at inconveniences people are