[Noisebridge-discuss] Extremely sketchy event w/ bikes just now

Sai i at s.ai
Thu Apr 11 15:41:39 UTC 2013

I would strongly advise against "donating" any abandoned bikes. You do
not own them; that would be considered theft until the time for
reclaiming them runs out officially, which can be years. (I tried
looking through CA law just now to figure out what period applies, and
it's not clear.)

Turn them over to the police instead. I think they give you the option
of "I want to have it if it's unclaimed".

While we're at it: register your bikes with the police, so that your
bike does get turned in, they call you. ;-)

jof: The bikes did not seem to be locked when he removed them. One
person thought he saw the person unchain a bike (presumably using a
key), but wasn't sure about it.

Nick: We weren't sure enough that they *weren't* his to physically
stop him from taking them. The only other legal option would have been
to call the police immediately, delay him from taking the bikes, and
have them sort out ownership. My guess is that he'd've been arrested
for drug somethingorother had police been called. We had about 30
seconds to decide what to do.

- Sai