[Noisebridge-discuss] Who do we want to exclude? [Drama]

Mitchel McAllister xonimmortal at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 12 22:41:54 UTC 2013

"People standing on the fire escape are obstructions" are my words. They are also common sense.

Here's an experiment. Stand in the doorway between the stairs and the space. Don't move. See how many people can go through the doorway.

Now, try this: lock the door to the space, from the inside, as is required by law for doors to a fire escape. See how many people can come in.

Even if you maintain (absent common sense) that people standing on the fire escape are not obstructions, they would still be unable to come back into the space if we adhere to the requirement that the door be locked so that people can not enter the space from the fire escape.

And yes, re-entering is entering. Re-enter means "to enter again".

What I am seeing, far in excess of suggested solutions, is a bunch of people kicking their heels and screaming "you can't make me".

Guess what? Throwing tantrums isn't excellent either, unless you accept the expanded and broadened meaning of "whatever one wants to do, regardless of how it affects others".

- Reverend Mik McAllister
"You can see the summit but you can't reach it
Its the last piece of the puzzle but you just can't make it fit
Doctor says you're cured but you still feel the pain
Aspirations in the clouds but your hopes go down the drain"
 - Howard Jones, "No One Is To Blame"
Purveyor of Subversive Fiction
http://www.prismandink.com
http://www.lunatextpublications.com