[Noisebridge-discuss] Interest check: HDL/FPGA for noobs class?

D J Capelis mail at capelis.dj
Mon Apr 15 05:43:30 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM, Robert "Finny" Merrill <
rfmerrill at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Xilinx ISE definitely exists for linux but I've not tried installing it.

I have.  It's only a little weird, as most proprietary software running on
Linux tends to be.  I guess notably there's a settings script that you need
to run before invoking any of their tools that creates and modifies some
environment variables.  I use my own wrapper script that adds a few of my
own variables (mostly for licensing), calls their scripts and invokes the
Xilinx tools using a subshell that keeps my main shell clean.  The good
news is that the installer is actually fairly respectful leaving most of
the rest of your system alone and functionality-wise, it seems to work as
well as ISE does on other platforms.

Haven't used Quartus, so I'm not sure whether ISE is more or less of a pain.

tl;dr: Yep, it works.

~DJ