[Noisebridge-discuss] Benevolent Sexism

Alcides Gutierrez alcides888 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 19:56:57 UTC 2013

Maybe not exactly related but, Im "Latino." I work at a supermarket and
talk to people all the time (duh). When Im approached by other Latinos im
often spoken to in Spanish. When I tell them I dont speak Spanish Im often
shown signs of surprise and/or disgust. I think thats a hostile ism? I dont
know what kinda ism? Racism?

Similarly, or maybe not so, when I hear Chinese (Mandarin) being spoken, I
introduce a couple of comments in Mandarin. I usually get "Wow! Thats
good." And a couple of laughs. As I continue, I rarely get into any
significant dialogue and feel more like a circus show. Benevolent ism?

If I were to speak Spanish I suppose it wouldnt be a surprise since so many
Latinos speak it. I am "Latino" after all. And if I were not to speak
Chinese I suppose it wouldnt be any big deal since perhaps not such a
majority of Latinos speak it. I am "Latino" after all.

In the beginning I would be angry. Especially when people insisted on
speaking to me in Spanish after I told them I dont speak it. Instead now I
just respond in Chinese. And when Chinese speakers treat me like a circus
show, I tell them, "Wow! You speak English! Good job!" Im not so angry
about it anymore, but I do feel obligated to return the favor of one's
behavior toward me.

I do reflect on my opinions of things throughout the day. I think its
important to pay attention to what sparks certain emotions. Actions
(speech)? Or my past experiences (which are also limited)? Anyway, im
ranting.

Alcides Gutierrez
http://e64.us