[Noisebridge-discuss] Interest check: HDL/FPGA for noobs class?

Henner Zeller h.zeller at acm.org
Wed Apr 3 00:28:07 UTC 2013

On 2 April 2013 16:58, Robert "Finny" Merrill <rfmerrill at berkeley.edu>wrote:

> And as for I/O I don't see why we can't just interface it with the
> raspberry pis and arduinos that everyone already has for that kind of
> thing, and just use the FPGA to do things that FPGAs are particularly good
> at.
>
> Projects I was thinking of:
> - SPI to I2C bridge
> - Vocoder (two I2S inputs, one I2S or SPDIF output)
> - Logic analyzer?

More rough ideas:
- Generally, I think a Logic analyzer project would be great as it is a
good 'entry drug'. Also should be fairly simple (could have some local RAM
as temporary storage and send back to host machine for display)
- Since we have security interested people: maybe implementing some
brute-force symmetric encryption algorithm cracker to see how it performs
(probably not that fast with an entry level board with slow clock, but at
multiple 'processes' can run in parallel).
- Bitcoin generation.
- Maybe some FFT stuff ? While this might be the primary domain for signal
processors, it might be a good way to explore parallelism.
- I personally like to have something to generate some frame-buffer PWMed
to a LED board ( what I do here in software on non-realtime Linux RPi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FCyhuT7fIE ). Ben Kochie and I were
thinking about assembling a bigger board for Noisebridge.