[Noisebridge-discuss] pony.noise/gate video feed

maestro maestro415 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 22:50:32 UTC 2013

# hey john,
# any idea when last someone pulled down newer mirror>>
# @ top of stairs to make sure nothing is behind it?...

# if not, you willing to help me take it down(look behind) and>>
# put it back(or just take down as it's pointless sans vanity)>>
# to confirm nothing has been put behind it?...
# hit me offlist...

end  comments

message ends

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:53 AM, John Ellis <neurofog at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ken,
>
> On the first point, I agree.
>
> As for the second point, the combination of do-ocracy, and shared
> management of systems goes against such "stealth monitoring".
> eg. Anyone can work on the door system, to repair, modify, adapt, as long
> as it doesn't create problems for the property management, and is
> considered "excellent"
>
> Same deal with the servers. If somebody was stealth recording the stream
> on pony, then somebody else would notice. Pony (or virtually any of the NB
> servers) don't have an implied expectation of privacy from other users, do
> they? Unexcellent use of resources would have consequences.
>
> Cheers!
> -John
> (Re-sent to discuss)
>
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Ken M. Haggerty <kenmhaggerty at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> In a separate previous discussion the following concerns were raised:
>>
>> • Some NBers did not want to encourage those not at Noisebridge to open
>> the gate remotely, and adding a video feed to the page may encourage that.
>>
>> • Some NBers are concerned about any infrastructure that conceptually
>> allows stealth recording of NBers, including when entering the space, are
>> in general against even having a camera at entrance (except perhaps one
>> with a retractable cover).
>>
>> -Ken
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Cameron Hackett <camhkt at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hey guys. Chris just came up with a cool idea. We should add a video /
>>> sound feed from the camera downstairs to the gate opening page we have on
>>> the network, so that anyone anywhere can monitor who is coming into and out
>>> of Noisebridge.

*~the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...*