[Noisebridge-discuss] Bike lights workshop! Shine out into the night! This Friday

Alexandra Glowaski alex.glowaski at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 08:58:36 UTC 2013

Awesome questions! Thanks!

• Does more voltage = shorter lifespan?
I'm assuming yes, but nonetheless, one 9V per color stays plenty bright for
at least a month.

• What about powering it with a hub generator?
That'd be awesome. I'm definitely working to keep the model simple, so
anybody can build a set in an hour or so. But I would love it if you or
anyone else would like to teach more advanced hacks - ideally, we could get
one per class.

• What kind of impact can they endure?
They generally don't get much direct impact, but the LEDs themselves are
coated in very tough (but flexible) epoxy, and the joints are
shielded/insulated/anchored with hot glue. They mainly get muddy, and
handle it well. The main issue I've seen is with weak solder joints near
the switches, so I'll be bringing heat-shrink this time.

• Did having the cockpit illuminated mess up your night vision?
Not noticeably; I tried to point them mostly down at the road, and while a
bit of light does leak up, I watched out for this kind of degradation and
didn't find much. However, those concerned might consider using just the
red channel all over and/or doing something else for the front light.

• How hard is it to get off? Is it possible to put it back on?
While I've never tried to take them off, I imagine it wouldn't be that bad.
The adhesive backing on the LEDs won't take off paint, and the batteries
are zip-tied on. The hot glue miiiiiight leave some spots - but you could
heat-gun them off.

• Does making an adjustment to your handlebars mean scrapping and replacing?
Depends on the adjustment! Mine are cabled loosely enough that when the
handlebars came loose (I think somebody tried to gank them), they could
rotate about 100º with no problem.
I should add that if you remove your seat or use a folding bike, this
project probably isn't for you. Wheel removal is (sob) fine.

Make your world!
www.alexglow.com