[Noisebridge-discuss] Anyone think I should not reply with a polite No to this guy?

Taylor Alexander tlalexander at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 23:20:19 UTC 2013

There is some merit in redirecting the payment processor's profits back to
NB as the non-profit beneficiary, if the numbers check out.

Isn't that kind of like money laundering? Apparently some rich people who
own companies will "donate" money (which they then deduct from their taxes)
to non-profits who then agree to use that money to buy services from a
company the benefactor owns. I guess that helps get around some taxes,
since they simultaneously donate money to a non-profit but also still
benefit from having had that money. That's apparently a big reason why so
many rich people in the US pay no taxes - something like 1200 individuals
in 2011 who made over $1M paid no federal income taxes, and many others
paid very little tax (the data is publicly available).

Anyway, that's an aside. As far as working with that company: some people
might question the true motives of ethix if they are not themselves a
non-profit, but meh, not everyone wants to save the world. Some honest
people still like making profit, so I suppose looking into whether or not
they are "evil" would be useful.