[Noisebridge-discuss] Fw: Re: User creation log

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Wed Apr 24 22:27:26 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 02:49:25PM -0700, Liz Henry wrote:
> Danny has that secretrarybot script, but I am not set up to use it and am
> not sure how it works. It seemed very effective when it was working --
> Morgan, maybe he can set it up for you or we can figure it out.
>
> - liz

Please be careful when using powerful tools like Secretaribot!

While merging spam accounts into User:SpammerHellDontDelete, it appears
to have swept up some non-spammer accounts. In fact, the very first two
revisions of the Noisebridge page itself now appear to be authored by
the super-prolific User:SpammerHellDontDelete:
https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Noisebridge&diff=3&oldid=1

Almost all of the years-old edits supposedly by SpammerHellDontDelete
appear to actually be legitimate edits:
https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Special:Contributions/SpammerHellDontDelete&dir=prev&target=SpammerHellDontDelete

Is there a log of which accounts it merged? Can this be undone somehow?

I'm not sure what to do about this other than to continue designing and
implementing a censorship-resistant publishing system where it is
impossible to ever completely delete anything, ever, without a
conspiracy of 100% of the autonomous anonymous node operators.

Immutability is the only way to enact true change!

(Before you say that's crazy and can't work, consider this: don't
listservs already provide something similar? If listservs didn't work,
you wouldn't be reading this.)

~leif

ps: Huge sincere thanks to Danny for his work on the wiki. I do agree
merging spammer accounts was/is a good idea, despite the dreadful loss
of history we've suffered because of it. We should have a MediaWiki
meetup sometime to discuss this and other MediaWiki issues.