[Noisebridge-discuss] hackeradio poll (plz reply)

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 02:35:29 UTC 2013

why not international hacker radio network, connecting all public and
private hackerspaces?

POLL:

--who here wants to generate some hacker audio content for a hacker
radio segment, even just once? show of hands....? This is the most
important thing.

--who here would take the lead on organizing the project?

--who here would listen? how many hours per month/week would you tune-in
to hacker-radio?

--who feels it should be a wireless hyper-local broadcast vs. internet
radio?

--what kinds of content would people like to make? personally, i think
hacker-radio programming should be hackery. which could mean a few things:
         -shows about hacking, making, building
         -hacker-profiles
         -audio instructables
         -shows about how to patent, market, and sell inventions
         -shows about how patents, marketing, and selling are evil
         -shows about censorship, freedom of information, surveillance, etc
         -radio-hacking, meaning shows which experiment with the medium
of audio communication
         -info broadcast in the form of modem noises or other audio-encoding
         -music performed on built, hacked, coded, and hand-wired
instruments

--what i personally think would NOT be hackery is:
          --published, commercial music, or any music played on
non-hacked instruments (unless it's just background music for a
spoken-word segment).
         --general political activist stuff. There are already many
radio outlets for that, such as indymedia.org
<http://www.indymedia.org/or/index.shtml>, KPFA, etc etc. We're hackers!
Of course, one's definition of "hacking" can be very broad....

please see more stuff below:

On 8/29/2013 3:49 PM, giovanni_re wrote:
> An hour per week, Johnny -that's all we ask.

i think a 30-minute segment per month is a realistic starting goal.
(keep in mind those Burning Man stations are only on-the-air for one
week per year.)

> You can do it, Johnny! You go, Johnny! :)

ha, thanks Gio.

But credit is due to NORMAN for inspiring us. Thanks, Norman! (Norm, if
you still feel NB should pursue a federally-licensed FM station, don't
let me stop you).

also, i could not personally organize a hacker radio show or network.
too busy. but i would gladly contribute suggestions and audio content.
How about you guys, Gio and Norman?

--

Johny Radio

Stick It In Your Ear!