[Noisebridge-discuss] BACH [Bay Area Consortium of Hackerspaces] Newsletter 0

Jenny Ryan jenny at thepyre.org
Sat Aug 10 07:37:24 UTC 2013

Bay Area Consortium of Hackerspaces

http://ba.chgrp.org

Newsletter #1

August 2013

 Bay Area Hackerspace Roundtable

BACH is a loosely-organized association of hackerspaces in the San
Francisco Bay Area. BACH strives to be very thin, with almost no over-head.
We exist to help member spaces coordinate, communicate, and collaborate.
Above all, we support the Bay Area hackerspace community's existent
inter-dependence and resilience. Learn more and find notes on past
roundtables at hackerspaces.org<http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Bay_Area_Consortium_of_Hackerspaces/>
.

Our next BACH Roundtable will be in September (date TBD) at LOL [Liberating
Ourselves Locally], a people-of-color-led, gender-balanced makerspace in
East Oakland. Subscribe<https://lists.riseup.net/www/subscribe/bayareahackerspaces>to
the mailing list and stay tuned for an announcement with date, time,
and
address!

Upcoming Events Across the Bay

August

   -

   CakeFest (CakePHP), Aug 29-Sept 1, online and in San Francisco
   http://cakefest.org
   -

   Disability Awareness Night 2013, Aug 16, San Jose Giants Stadium
   -

   Bay Area Homebrew Festival, Aug 24, Fort Mason Ctr

September

   -

   SynBioBeta SF <http://synbiobeta.com/sf2013/>, November 15th at the
   Mission Conference Center, 7am-7pm.

October

   -

   Bay Area Drupal Camp 2013, October 24-27, Berkeley
   http://2013.badcamp.net
   -

   Responsive Design Studio, October 15-16, Mountain View
   http://rosenfeldmedia.com/events/responsive-design-studio/fall-2013/
   -

   Design Hacking, 14 Nov, and Finance Hacking, 8 Oct, Hacker Dojo,
   Mountain View

August Updates:

Hackermoms is closed for August. http://mothership.hackermoms.org/calendar/

San Leandro Coworking and HayHackers are exploring the idea of combining
forces to represent the middle and south side east bay. At some later point
we can divide and spread across the land, helping to reach our Fremont
hackers closer to where they live.

Ace Monster Toys
http://meetup.acemonstertoys.org/

   -

   3D Printing, every other Wednesday @ 7:30pm (August 14, 28)
   -

   Arduino / Raspberry Pi / Microcontrollers, alternating Wednesdays @ 7pm
   (August 7, 21)
   -

   Assemble 3D Printers, alternating Wednesdays @ 7:30pm (August 14, 28)
   -

   Sewing & Textiles Open Lab, every other Tuesday @ 7pm (August 13, 27)
   -

   General Meeting / Open House, every Thursday @ 7:30pm
   -

   CNC Router Introduction, Tuesday, August 13th @ 7pm
   -

   Learn to Use a 3D Printer, Wednesday, August 14th @ 7pm
   -

   Hacker Scouts Open Lab, Sunday, September 1st @ 2pm

Counter Culture Labs

http://www.meetup.com/Counter-Culture-Labs/

   -

   Open Bioinformatics: Exploring the
Genome<http://www.meetup.com/Counter-Culture-Labs/events/132990982/>,
   Sunday, August 11th @ 7pm @ Sudo Room
   -

   Weekly Working
Meetings<http://www.meetup.com/Counter-Culture-Labs/events/133176082/>,
   every Wednesday @ 6pm @ Ahnon’s
   -

   Monthly General Meeting, Last Fridays @ 6pm @ Sudo Room

Hacker Dojo

   -

   The 12 Tasks of Hercules: Robot hacking every Saturday @ 1:30pm
   -

   Laptop Music Production Workshop, Tuesday, August 13th @ 7pm
   -

   SVSC - Quantum Computing Discussion
Group<http://events.hackerdojo.com/event/3562002-svsc-quantum-computing-discussion-group>,
   Friday, August 16th @ 5pm
   -

   Repair Cafe Mountain View, Sunday, August 18th, 10am-5pm
   -

   Linux Virtualization Workshop, Monday, August 19th @ 7pm
   -

   Internet of Things Silicon Valley Meetup, Tuesday, August 20th @ 6pm
   -

   Cooking For Hackers: Steak And Red
Wine<http://events.hackerdojo.com/event/3461003-cooking-for-hackers-steak-and-red-wine>,
   Wednesday, August 21st @ 6:30pm
   -

   Spokenvote - Rails for Charity Hack
Session<http://events.hackerdojo.com/event/3331002-spokenvote-rails-for-charity-hack-session>,
   Sunday, August 25th @ 6pm
   -

   Execution Models & Architectures for Big Data Cloud Computing &
Streaming<http://events.hackerdojo.com/event/3068001-execution-models-architectures-for-big-data-cloud-computing-streaming>,
   Monday, August 26th @ 7pm
   -

   HTML5 Game Development Study Group: Tuesday, August 13th, Tuesday,
   August 20th, and Monday, August 26th @ 6pm

LOLspace

   -

   LOL Open Hack Night: Decolonizing Technology every Monday starting @ 7pm
   -

   How We Move: Urban dance class on Sunday, August 18th starting at noon
   -

   Construction Class every Saturday starting @ 1pm
   -

   Resilient Communities Legal Cafe, a non-profit legal advice clinic
   hosted by the Sustainable Economies Law Center, every First Thursday
   starting @ 4:30pm

Marin Makers

http://www.meetup.com/MarinMakerspace/

   -

   Planning for the Mini Maker Faire, Tuesday, August 20th @ 6:30pm
   -

   Monthly General Meeting, every First Tuesday @ 6:30pm
   -

   Even more planning for the Mini Maker Faire, Tuesday, September 10th @
   6:30pm

Noisebridge

   -

   Special event: Saturday, August 10, 16:00:
   Noisebridge "______ the Bridge"
Party<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Noisebridge_%22_the_Bridge%22_Party>,
   a summer fundraising party for Noisebridge

   -

   Circuit Hacking Monday, every Monday @ 7:30pm
   -

   Frontend Web Development, every Monday @ 8pm
   -

   Gamebridge Unityversity, every Monday @ 7pm
   -

   Noisebridge Weekly Meeting, every Tuesday @ 7pm
   -

   Five Minutes of Fame, every Third Thursday @ 8pm
   -

   BAHA - Bay Area Hacker’s Association security meetup, Second Sundays @
   2pm
   -

   Tastebridge / Vegan Hacker monthly food hacking, Last Thursdays @ 7pm
   -

   Post-Waste Nexus every Thursday except for 3rd Thursdays @ 7pm
   -

   3D Thursdays (3D Printing & Fabrication) every Thursday except for 3rd
   Thursdays @ 7pm

Sudo Room

   -

   Today I Learned is a series of one-off classes and workshops, every
   Saturday from 2-5pm. Check https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Today_I_Learned for
   the full schedule!
   -

   Sudo Kids every Tuesday, starting at 5pm.
   -

   Microcontroller Hacking Night every other Tuesday @ 7pm [August 13, 27]
   -

   Python and Javascript meetups every Thursday @ 7pm
   -

   Oakland Wiki meeting every Thursday @ 7pm
   -

   Oakland Mesh Network hack nights every Thursday @ 8:30pm
   -

   Cryptoparty / Digital Security Workshop every Third Sunday starting @ 2pm
   -

   POSSE [Potluck Orientation Skill-share Swap-meet Event] Party every
   Third Friday from 6-9pm
   -

   General Meeting and Potluck every Wednesday @ 7pm
   -

   Most Awesome Guacamole Fest Fundraiser (TBD in August)

Awesome projects happening in various hackerspaces:

Ace Monster Toys

   -

   We crowdfunded a brand new CNC Metal Mill, for fabricating custom parts
   from solid blocks of metal. http://on.fb.me/11v5B32
   -

   Stefan is making his own bow for archery: http://on.fb.me/1coYygL
   -

   Humanoid robot made from 16 servos: http://on.fb.me/19xOOBe
   -

   Fabricating custom PCBs (circuit boards) using the desktop CNC router:
   http://on.fb.me/16EN6c2
   -

   3D scanning and then 3D printing ourselves: http://on.fb.me/167AM45
   -

   Lasercutting leather goods: http://on.fb.me/15c4VTc
   -

   Tesla Coils! http://on.fb.me/17iUWHn

Counter Culture Labs

   -

   Glowing algae bioart is currently in ideation stage!
   -

   The Desktop Biolab <http://desktopbiolab.org> is a project to create a
   low-cost desktop biotech lab to help citizen scientists do genetic
   engineering at home.
   -

   A fork of the community education space, Berkeley Biolabs is to be a
   biotech incubator for therapeutics-based clinical research.

Noisebridge

   -

   Excellent LED hacking projects combining electronics and arduino! A
   skill-share event took place last Tuesday, August 6th. Among the projects
   worked on included a LED matrix display, a VU-type meter and a coat with
   200+ LEDs.
   -

   The Noise Orchestra <https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/NoiseJam> is an
   open ensemble of handmade, hand-wired, and hand-coded instruments.
   -

   Post-Waste Nexus <http://postwastenexus.org/>endeavors to reuse and
   recycle electronic waste, place refurbished computers with free and open
   source software in our communities, provide education and job training, use
   environmentally responsible e-waste handling practices, and operate under
   consensus decision making.
   -

   A group of Noisebridgers, the
DreamTeam<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/DreamTeam>,
   are conducting research and working on projects related to brain computer
   interfaces.
   -

   Some Noisebridgers just finished a super-successful Kickstarter
campaign<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/swiftnav/piksi-the-rtk-gps-receiver>for
Piksi, a low-cost RTK GPS receiver (centimeter level precision) with
   open source software and board design targeted at UAVs.

Sudo Room

   -

   The Oakland Mesh group <http://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh> successfully
   crowdfunded the first round of hardware for the community wireless network
   we’re building throughout East Oakland. Want to join the mesh? Add your
   node here: http://meshmap.sudoroom.org
   -

   GETit <https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Phage_therapy> is collaborating with
   local clinics to develop novel therapies for the eradication of antibiotic
   resistant gonorrhea.
   -

   Some folks have been working on a brain-computer interface for
   controlling MC Hawking, the open source robot currently on loan from
   Noisebridge.
   -

   SudoMaté RISE is a carbonated yerba mate natural energy drink. An open
   source soda: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Sudomate - available at Sudo Room.
   -

   Subiir is currently brewing their 7th batch:
   https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Subiir_7
   -

   Juul is building an arcade machine running all free and open source
   video games, and with a variety of controllers.
   -

   Eddie Che is building a small mobile greenhouse for growing food, and
   previously built a rocket stove at the space:
   http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rocket_Stove_Finished.jpg
   -

   Sun Synchrony is building and designing a new device for producing solar
   electricity.  The cells are more than twice the power of conventional
   silicon cells, and this system provides nearly double the electricity per
   given area, charges electronics much faster solar, and offers maximum
   OFF-GRID INDEPENDENCE.

We Have Questions:

Does your hackerspace have its own general liability insurance? Would you
be interested in pooling to get a better price on a policy, if available?

CREDITS:

Kudos to Ace Monster Toys who actually emailed their updates when asked.
Others: you can learn!

Jenny Ryan (Sudo Room) collected most of these updates by hand. Yes, from
each site, one by one. Deep bows of gratitude for representing everyone so
well.

Judi Clark (SL Coworking) added a few updates, did the layout for the print
& pdf versions, added these snarky comments and printed some hand-out
versions.

Calendar Feeds:

1. Hackermoms:
http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/hsflo4jnaakg2vrp4addsimceg%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic