[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: [SALT] Kahneman "Thinking Fast and Slow" TONIGHT 7PM Aug. 13 - Fwd: [BerkTIPGlobal]

giovanni_re john_re at fastmail.us
Tue Aug 13 19:25:14 UTC 2013

http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Fast-Slow-Daniel-Kahneman/dp/0374275637
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking,_Fast_and_Slow
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/15bb6522-04ac-11e1-91d9-00144feabdc0.html
http://www.mom-psych.com/Books/Reviews-Kahneman-GS1003.html
http://longnow.org/seminars/02013/aug/13/thinking-fast-and-slow/

----- Original message -----
From: Stewart Brand <sb at longnow.org>
To: SALT list <salt at list.longnow.org>
Subject: [SALT] Kahneman TONIGHT Aug. 13
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:58:24 -0700

There are three ways to get into tonight’s SOLD OUT talk by Daniel
Kahneman.  The easiest is to be a Long Now member and tune into the live
stream.  The second two involve showing up at the theater and standing
in line---getting there early helps; being a member helps.  In our
experience, most walk-ups get in, and conversations you have in the line
can be pretty interesting.

"Thinking Fast and Slow," Daniel Kahneman, Marines' Memorial Theater,
Union Square, San Francisco, 7pm, TONIGHT, Tuesday August 13.  The show
starts promptly at 7:30pm.

• Tune into the live audio stream for Long Now Members at 7:30 PST -
become a member for just $8 a month.
Share this talk: Daniel Kahneman, "Thinking Fast and Slow" Long Now talk
on 8/13 http://goo.gl/aCnWw

==========
 SALT list <salt at list.longnow.org> [Add] Wed, 7 Aug 2013 11:00 AM (6
 days 1 hour ago) View as HTML - Show Raw Message

We delude ourselves constantly. By relying on the lazy shortcuts that
intuition offers (such as “what you see is all there is”) we make wrong
decisions that could have been headed off with just a bit of disciplined
thought---using the abilities of our mind that are good at that.

No other psychologist has unmasked so many of the wondrous ways we
blithely make profound mistakes daily. Kahneman improves judgement.
==========

The next SALT talk is:
Sept. 17 (Tue.) - Peter Schwartz, "The Starships ARE Coming"

Tonight's event is one of a monthly series of Seminars About Long-term
Thinking (SALT) organized by The Long Now Foundation.  Related links:
Schedule of future SALT talks
Free downloads of past talks
Email notification of future talks (and my summaries of the talks)
Podcast of the talks
Long Now Blog
Contact Long Now
Long Now Twitter
Long Now Facebook
Long Now membership ($8/month to $10K lifetime)

 --Stewart Brand (sb at longnow.org)