[Noisebridge-discuss] VOIP phone bill

Tom Lowenthal me at tomlowenthal.com
Sun Aug 11 23:46:29 UTC 2013

Our Flowroute account has a positive balance. As long as I've been
getting the bills, we've had a dozen or two dollars of credit, and we
use maybe a dollar or two per month. Our most recent bill puts us at
about thirteen dollars of credit. I'm happy to take donations to top
it up, but that should last us for ten months or so.

There was recently a flowroute outage, for about an hour on
2013-08-02. Here's the text of the outage notification I got:

~~~~~
> This is an informational bulletin only. NO ACTION IS REQUIRED.
>
> We are sending you this message in an effort to keep you informed of any
> planned or unplanned service-affecting maintenance or impairments.
>
> A switch for handling inbound calls had a memory leak, triggered by some SIP-
> registration-routed call flows, which eventually exhausted usable memory. This
>  caused inbound calls to fail in a way which prevented backup nodes from
>  recovering. The impairment affected all Flowroute customers in their ability
>  to receive inbound calls. All other services remained operational.
>
> * Network Event: Service Impairment
> * Service Area Affected: Inbound calls
> * Incident Time: August 2, 2013 17:57 UTC (10:57 PDT)
> * Restoration Time: August 2, 2013 18:50 UTC (11:50 PDT)
> * Preliminary Root Cause: Latent memory leak in vendor switch code
>
> Resolution Summary: Service was restored by restarting the affected switch. A
> brief recurrence impaired services later that evening, from 3:20 to 3:40 UTC,
> while Flowroute engineers had been investigating the root cause. Engineers
> then deployed a per-process memory monitoring system to preempt any
> recurrence. After thorough analysis and testing, Flowroute engineers
> reproduced, found, and patched the memory leak in vendor switch code.
>
> To avoid future related issues, the per-process memory monitoring will remain
> in place for early warnings. Flowroute engineers are reducing use of vendor
> switch code by developing replacement code in programming languages not
> susceptible to memory bugs.
~~~~~