[Noisebridge-discuss] hackeradio poll (plz reply)

Norman Bradley pryankster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 16:58:12 UTC 2013

On 8/29/2013 7:35 PM, Johny Radio wrote:
> why not international hacker radio network, connecting all public and
> private hackerspaces?
>
> POLL:
>
> --who here wants to generate some hacker audio content for a hacker
> radio segment, even just once? show of hands....? This is the most
> important thing.
>
> --who here would take the lead on organizing the project?

If you are speaking about organizing content there are many more
qualified in the community. There should be guidelines much like you
list below.

> --who here would listen? how many hours per month/week would you
> tune-in to hacker-radio?

Whenever I could.  Much like I regularly listen to TWiT radio on the net
as they aren't available on broadcast stations in the Bay Area.
> --who feels it should be a wireless hyper-local broadcast vs. internet
> radio?

Why not both?
> --what kinds of content would people like to make? personally, i think
> hacker-radio programming should be hackery. which could mean a few things:
>         -shows about hacking, making, building
>         -hacker-profiles
>         -audio instructables
>         -shows about how to patent, market, and sell inventions
>         -shows about how patents, marketing, and selling are evil
>         -shows about censorship, freedom of information, surveillance, etc
>         -radio-hacking, meaning shows which experiment with the medium
> of audio communication
>         -info broadcast in the form of modem noises or other
> audio-encoding
>         -music performed on built, hacked, coded, and hand-wired
> instruments

That's a very good content list. As they are so close we might get some
content from the EFF.

If we could be sure to only put on locally produced music we could avoid
dealing with, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, and the ever popular RIAA. Signed
wavers would also be a good idea. Let's be clear on this. It doesn't
matter if it is Broadcast or internet they will come looking for us. It
is standard for these organizations to check the listings for new
stations and send all of them demand letters.

> --what i personally think would NOT be hackery is:
>          --published, commercial music, or any music played on
> non-hacked instruments (unless it's just background music for a
> spoken-word segment).
>         --general political activist stuff. There are already many
> radio outlets for that, such as indymedia.org
> <http://www.indymedia.org/or/index.shtml>, KPFA, etc etc. We're
> hackers! Of course, one's definition of "hacking" can be very broad....
>
> please see more stuff below:
>
> On 8/29/2013 3:49 PM, giovanni_re wrote:
>> An hour per week, Johnny -that's all we ask.
>
> i think a 30-minute segment per month is a realistic starting goal.
> (keep in mind those Burning Man stations are only on-the-air for one
> week per year.)
>
>> You can do it, Johnny! You go, Johnny! :)
>
> ha, thanks Gio.
>
> But credit is due to NORMAN for inspiring us. Thanks, Norman! (Norm,
> if you still feel NB should pursue a federally-licensed FM station,
> don't let me stop you).
>
> also, i could not personally organize a hacker radio show or network.
> too busy. but i would gladly contribute suggestions and audio content.
> How about you guys, Gio and Norman?
>
> --
>
> Johny Radio
>
> Stick It In Your Ear!

Very well stated. I'm sure we can get this going. I am planning on
having some preliminary number for next Tuesday.

I am using the DCFcharacters email as my primary contact for this
project so as to avoid hitting the Discuss list with lots of minutia.
That's on gmail. Now let's see if the spam bots can dig that one out.

You are entitled to your own opinion.
You are NOT entitled to your own facts.
Norman