[Noisebridge-discuss] Kevin's proposal to expire the Associate Member role.

Al Sweigart asweigart at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 23:52:02 UTC 2013

Kevin, the obvious difference between this proposal and the anti-harassment
and keypad proposals (and going further back, the tor-node proposal) is
that the expiration clauses were all part of a compromise for passing the
*original* proposal. There is no precedent to adding an expiration date to
a policy after the fact. What we *have* done before to undo policies is put
forward a consensus proposal to directly undo them.

But I do agree, policies need to have a large amount of buy-in from the
community to be seen as legitimate. That something could easily pass one
week but not the next simply because a particular single person wasn't
there to block is a big failure that's unique to the consensus process.

Gregory, last meeting I had to make a VERY unpopular block (as proxy for
another member) on two memberships because I was the only capital-m Member
(g'uh, I find that term distasteful) there. Even I wasn't in favor of
blocking, meaning that it was unanimous of everyone there that Sam and
Robin should have become members but that didn't happen due to consensus.
And since associate members can't block, they'd never be able to dictate a
decision like that. Second-class is exactly what that is. As JC loudly said
that night, that's bullshit.