[Noisebridge-discuss] Why Consensus Kills Community

Madelynn Martiniere mmartiniere at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 01:47:51 UTC 2013

We've had some great contributions to this conversation: thanks Danny,
Al, Adrian, and so many others.

This response clearly shows that people are open and aware that change
needs to happen. I would encourage us, now, both on and off the list, to
talk about solutions. I wouldn't worry about whether something will
"pass" through consensus or not, let's just talk solutions and work
semantics later.

I've used Freeside and PS: One as examples not as an argument that we
should "be like them", rather, to demonstrate there are other models
that work better than ours. Noisebridge has the distinction of being one
of the first US hackerspaces, and that means something in the greater
community. If we can capitalize on the unique, vibrant culture that
Noisebridge (and SF) has that sets it apart from any other hackerspace,
we can be a positive example.

Rather than what we represent now: http://imgur.com/hfFrmDv (someone
sent me this from the walls of PS:One)

Cheers,