[Noisebridge-discuss] Why Consensus Kills Community

Aaronco Thirtysix aaronco36 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 02:48:16 UTC 2013

Am in the Hackatorium now sitting between Jarrod and J.C.
I think that Danny O'Brien just walked in.
Some dude across from me diagonally has been taking up a storm in the
last hour or more, but wanted to throw out the below article as it
could still relate right to the topic of 'Why Consensus Kills
Community', without staying for the Mtg.

Article by Harvey Mackay in the Portland Business Journal from back in
July of this year; 'Why your employees fear change and how you can fix
it'
URL is http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/print-edition/2013/07/26/why-your-employees-fear-change-and-how.html

1rst 2 paragraphs are here
~~~ start quoting ~~~
Many times, in order to survive we have to start a change process.
Change, for most people, is an unnerving experience. But as the old
saying goes, change is inevitable. It’s one of the only constants in
life.

I have said before, it is easy to change things. It is not so easy to
change people. And therein lies the rub. As author Bruce Barton
observed, “When you are through changing, you are through.”
~~~ end quoting ~~~~

Article goes on but I'm guessing that there are probably parallels
between this article's approach to Management's decisions and
decisions reached by Noisebridge's Consensus process and its
alternatives (as expressed by others in this thread?)

SFGiantsAce36