[Noisebridge-discuss] Thought crimes at Noisebridge, and how can we stop them?

jim jim at well.com
Thu Dec 19 20:00:00 UTC 2013

    (sorry to be wordy, I don't figure out how to
say this more briefly.)

    To respond usefully requires reviewing most
of Noisebridge emails and maybe interviewing
members of long-standing to gather events as
well as those members who've left the community.
    Given that info, the next task, it seems to
me, is to analyze the info to distinguish those
issues that have to do with governance as well
as other issues that have to do with various
aspects of group dynamics.
    My own recollections are subject to my own
vagueries. I believe there should be an email  <---
thread that asks for recollections and examples
from the general group.

    Some general issues below:

    Consensus has been subject to attack. My view
is that consensus should have been carefully
qualified to allow blocking only for proposals
that might have a direct affect on people's
projects, not their sense of propriety or morals
or ideals or....
    Restricted access, whether it's a matter of
physical access such as keys or codes or a matter
of policy such as closing hours, has been an issue.
    Appropriate kitchen and cooking facilities
have been subject to uproar.
    Use of space, notably in the two classrooms,
has been a source of contention.
    Cleaning, moving furniture, other housekeeping
tasks (e.g. toilet paper and other supplies) have
been more or less successful, thanks to do-ocratic
calls to action, but occasionally a matter of
uproar (people objecting others defending).
    Proposals for change of governance, such as
establishing a council, are targets for derision.
Recall that some people remain loyal to the original
premises such as one rule only (treat each other
excellently), specific proscription against
structured governance (e.g. members of the board
of directors shall take no actions whatever).
    General discussion tends to be a shouting
match; people defend their own points of view
rather than to allow open and accepting discussion,
as a recent example, I think Carles Tang's
contributions have been unusually thoughtful, but
seem not to be thoughtfully received, possibly
because his in-person demeanor is abrasive, which
is to say non-conformative to accepted behavioral
norms in some of the various NB groups.

    A common thread is that of one group proposing
to formalize some rule or structure that imposes
their ideals on the behaviors of others, which
actuates those who do not want others to hack
their behaviors.