[Noisebridge-discuss] Radio: FCC rejection letter

John Withers jwithers at reddagger.org
Fri Dec 20 18:06:19 UTC 2013

On 12/20/2013 09:01 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Hm, so..
>
> What about running a legit ham radio station on shortwave and doing
> some DIY shortwave receiver projects?

You can't run a one way broadcasting operation on ham bands and be
legit. There is also the problem not only about the use, but who is
using it. There would have to be a licensed operator in control of the
transmitter at all times anyone was transmitting.

And, of course, you lose any local community aspect except for the
community of people who haven't caught up with the fact that we have all
been carrying radios in our pockets for 20 years now and being able to
build one out of chewed up aluminum foil, cat parts and spark plugs
isn't really a critical infrastructure public service.

As projects, I agree the whole field is interesting (who *wouldn't* want
to be able to make radios out of chewed up aluminum foil, cat parts and
spark plugs?).

You might also want to add a Ham Cram to your list of fun things to do
in this area. Ham Crams are specially designed study and test sessions
designed to get someone from 0 to FCC licensed in one day. Just about
anyone who is on this list could pass one, the way they are set up. And
if you are licensed, you not only get access to the wonderful world of
old people who think having giant antennas on their cars is a mark of
pride, but some radio control frequencies for projects that are not only
fairly uncluttered, but in which you are allowed to transmit at higher
power than the unlicensed plebes.

-j
n1brc