[Noisebridge-discuss] [dorkbotsf-blabber] BlueGiga Experience

Anders Nelson anders.k.nelson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 22:37:24 UTC 2013

Hi Alison,

I handled the MFI program at my previous job, so here's how it works:

-Some MFI-enabled radio manufacturers embed the Apple-specific
authentication chip into their module and I believe you can buy said module
without having to go through Apple's MFI certification.

-In order to use any IAP commands outside of simple remote controls
(play/pause/prev/next/etc.) your hardware accessory must have an MFI
authentication chip onboard.

-Bluetooth classic and dock connector communication (via IAP or the
accessory framework) both require an MFI chip. BTLE does *not* require an
MFI chip.

-Bluetooth classic communication is relatively fast so I've heard. The dock
connector can only push 5-7kB per second.

I suggest using BTLE to get around the fruity bits.

=]

--
Anders Nelson

+1 (517) 775-6129