[Noisebridge-discuss] Associate members? Did I miss something?

Hannah Grimm dharlette at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 19:47:42 UTC 2013

Rubin:
NB is now open only to people who are members or who have been vouched for
by members only.  Members are encouraged to be liberal with their vouching
for people they don't know so that folks can visit the space.  An
"associate member" is just a person who has been vetted by three "capital
M" NB members, and as a result is trusted to be in the space without
supervision and to vouch for other people who want to visit.  Associate
members don't get to block consensus, they're just people that we have a
certain bare minimum trust for.

This change lets us do a number of things: we can more easily remove
sleepers & individuals who were using the space inappropriately, it makes
it much easier to prevent the space being used as a squat, and it also
allows us remove bad eggs from the community who make folks so
uncomfortable/unsafe that no one is willing to sponsor them, even if we
couldn't successfully get a block through consensus.