[Noisebridge-discuss] misogynist loser visiting noisebridge

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Mon Dec 23 21:59:37 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Al Sweigart <asweigart at gmail.com> wrote:
> Theoretically, associate members do have access to the membership shelves.
> The tarp was basically to keep people in general from poking around in the
> member shelves area or confuse it with hack shelves (though obviously that
> doesn't stop some people), and the camera was Jake's own initiative.
>
> Also, there's always been a shortage of member shelves. Most people would be
> okay halving their shelf space to give others shelves. But a lot of the
> shelves I think have been plain forgotten about. The thing is, it's really
> hard to tell which is which. I don't think the name labels on shelves are
> all accurate and up-to-date. The laissez-faire nature of the members area
> has introduced a lot of problems over time.
>
> This was one of the things my locker proposal tried to solve: making sure
> that the space had storage resources that were available, offered a degree
> of security, and explicitly maintained by a person rather than a group
> diffusion of responsibility.

i'm in support of the locker proposal -- the hacker shelves problem is
one where there isn't even collective responsibility because people
think it belongs to the people who put their names on it, and they've
often moved on. (I think I've actually cited it as one of the areas
where we don't get the benefits of being an open space, because it's
not seen as an open area of the space.

d.