[Noisebridge-discuss] noisebridge visitor / noob policy progress

Jake jake at spaz.org
Mon Dec 23 23:06:54 UTC 2013

Johny,

I don't think we need to automatically keep people out, except with the
gate which has the potential of working pretty well if it is physically
maintained more than it is.

I believe we can and should err on the side of letting people in rather
than keeping them out.  I think the change we need to make is in
discussing the "right" to be at noisebridge after you have gotten in.

I want to make noisebridge a welcoming place for newcomers, but once a
person has been introduced to the space and given the opportunity to
participate in a good way, including becoming an associate member if they
want, they will understand that coming to noisebridge is not a god-given
right regardless of your behavior.

After people have found the space and learned about it, if they choose to
go against our community standards in any way, general or specific, the
community has the right to ask them to leave, without a specific "excuse"
like "you left food in the kitchen" or "you were caught sleeping".

As for your last suggestion, about a process and incentives for generating
hands-on help in the space, I truly believe that inclusion (by the
associate membership invitation extended to everyone) and improved quality
of the space resulting from the new policies will get us more people and
more hands.

-jake