[Noisebridge-discuss] Docents

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 00:14:24 UTC 2013

On 12/23/2013 3:55:02 PM, "Danny O'Brien" <danny at spesh.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Johny Radio <johnyradio at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>  Do i take that to mean you agree to a new-user orientation process?
>
>I *always* like that idea. I've proposed it myself.

I recall Tom and Miloh laughed at this proposal when i made it at a
meeting, and also made a laughing reference about you making the same
proposal.

>The only problem I have noted in the past is the people who volunteer
>to do this kind of docenting/redshirting occasionally turn out to be
>some of the creepiest people at Noisebridge, and use it to assert
>random authority on strangers and/or establish some pecking order in
>the social community that hangs out at Noisebridge.

New-user orientation doesn't necessarily have to be the docents, but
that's a natural fit.

In my observation, creepiness and bullyism has been a much bigger
problem with nb's current vigilante method. Our current "everybody's a
cop" method has no consistent monitoring of self-appointed enforcers
built into it, no consistent interpretation of policy, no consistent
enforcement, no clear opportunity for grievance.

A Docent group, which meets monthly, can monitor itself for creepiness.
A Docent group is an entity users can approach with complaints (without
consuming Tuesday meeting time).

About using Consensus and Tuesday meetings for every grievance, every
new member, every topic, every policy is TOO simple. A famous brainiac
once said “Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler.”