[Noisebridge-discuss] Oppressive Behavior

hep dis at gruntle.org
Sun Dec 29 19:35:37 UTC 2013

agree with the above.

#1 being part of one minority community does not absolve you of use of
oppressive tools against another minority community.

#2 it is ALWAYS offensive when white people use the N word. I don't give a
fuck who told you ok. I don't give a fuck if you used it with "a" and not
"er". it is racist, offensive, and often when used with "positive intent"
(like in this case) has huge overtones of cultural appropriation.

#3 a "white person doing black lingo" is pretty much the definition of
cultural appropriation and oppression. if it is a white person who grew up
around communities of color and lower class communities where such "lingo"
is the norm, that is one thing. (shoutouts to eminem, who btw always took
it pretty hard for using the n word in his early work, something he has had
to repeatedly apologize for despite growing up in the culture where such
language was the norm.) but in that case a white person should be even more
aware of the politics surrounding the use of that word by a white person.
no free pass. it is one thing to be from classes where hiphop is the
prevailing music, and street culture is a part of your culture. it is
another to ignore centuries of oppression of one class of people, to ignore
the fact that today in white america people of color are still being
treated as second class citizens and  to ignore their voices about that
word being deployed by the class who kept them down.

Also: allies are allowed to call people out about oppression fyi. Just
because the person was a white man, doesn't make his point that that kind
of language is absolutely not ok. In fact, we NEED allies because often
people of color and other oppressed classes are talked over or ignored
unless and until a white male speaks up on their behalf.

-hep

hep
hepic photography || www.hepic.net
    dis at gruntle.org || 415 867 9472