[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] Oppressive Behavior

hep dis at gruntle.org
Mon Dec 30 18:57:37 UTC 2013

Johnny:

again. two POC have spoken up so far to say that hearing this kind of
language in the space unchecked would be alienating for them. Yes, whoever
screamed at her certainly overreacted. However from the way you framed this
from the get-go, you seem intent on giving her a pass for being a white
person who used a racial slur at noisebridge, fully intentionally, with
absolutely no understanding about her place in that, or the reaction from
the people she would be oppressing with that language. Yes, we absolutely
shouldn't scream at people to correct unwanted behavior, but from the
beginning she was in the wrong, and your stance seems to be that because of
the reaction to the issue, the behavior should get a pass.

-hep

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd at gmail.com>wrote:

> ... just bring it up at a Tuesday meeting? Bring the two people
> involved and have a calm discussion about what happened?
>
> (And if it doesn't stay calm, note that?)
>

> -a
>

> On 30 December 2013 10:51, Johny Radio <johnyradio at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I really don't feel right in continuing a discussion about people and
> > events, when i have likely mischaracterized both the people and the
> events.
> > Please take everything i described about the people and events with a
> grain
> > of salt-- the reality surely does not match, since i don't know the
> people
> > or events well enough.
> >
> > Especially, forget the names, as it would be unfair to those involved to
> > attach their names to what may be an inaccurate characterization. Let's
> > assume the actual people and event are not as i described.
> >

> > However, we could continue the discussion as a hypothetical. What if it
> did
> > happen?
> >
> > The Harassment Policy was created specifically to make the space more
> > welcoming to women in particular, AND other people who don't fit into the
> > traditional science/tech white male universe.
> >
> > Ari, in this scenario, the policy was used to make the place unwelcoming
> > the very sort of human who the policy was intended to help. That's why i
> > felt it was very relevant to mention her gender and sexuality.
> >
> > (she's quite public about it, otherwise i would not share someone's
> personal
> > info. She prolly mentioned she's a lesbian more than three times,
> publicly--
> > maybe that's her personal anti-harassment strategy).
> >
> > (Note, she did come back later in the evening, after the person who
> shouted
> > was gone. Happily, she's resilient).

hep
hepic photography || www.hepic.net