[Noisebridge-discuss] Oppressive Behavior

Hannah Grimm dharlette at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 01:43:09 UTC 2013

My personal reaction to this would probably be to immediately react to her
slur with a "That kind of language really isn't okay for you to use at
Noisebridge" followed by a serious talk about *why* it's not okay.  If she
responded to be called out by agreeing to stop then I'd consider it
settled; if she argued that it wasn't offensive or refused to modify her
behavior I'd probably ask her to leave too.  I don't think there'd be
screaming, but frankly I suspect that "screaming" was meant in her
description to Johny as a feeling of being attacked...I've seen Pigeon when
they're angry about this sort of thing and their voice just isn't that loud.

I'm totally okay with excluding people who haven't learned to control their
racist speech yet.  I get that not all people who do racist things are
horrible terrible very bad people, and a lot of them genuinely might not
know any better, but being kicked out of a place because of their racist
behavior is a pretty good signal to them that they need to learn.