[Noisebridge-discuss] Principles of behavior - suggestion

Paul Monad immonad at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 11 20:15:15 UTC 2013

Burning Man Founder Larry Harvey wrote the Ten Principles in 2004 as guidelines for the newly-formed Regionals Network. They were crafted not as a dictate of how people should be and act, but as a reflection of the community's ethos and culture as it had
organically developed since the event's inception.

The essence of the 10 principles of Burningman could be a spiritual guide for Noisebridge.

1.    Radical Inclusion
Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the
stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.

2.    Radical Self-reliance
Burning Man encourages the individual to discover, exercise and rely on his or her inner resources.

3.   Leaving No Trace
Our community respects the environment. We are committed to leaving no
physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after
ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a
better state than when we found them.

4.     Participation
Our community is committed to a radically participatory ethic. We
believe that transformative change, whether in the individual or in
society, can occur only through the medium of deeply personal
participation. We achieve being through doing. Everyone is invited to
work. Everyone is invited toplay. We make the world real through actions that open the heart.

5.   Communal Effort
Our community values creative cooperation and collaboration. We strive to produce, promote and protect social networks , public spaces, works of art, and methods of communication that support such interaction.

6.    Gifting
Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift giving. The value of a gift is
unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for
something of equal value.

7.     Radical Self expression
Radical self-expression arises from theunique gifts of the individual. No one other than the individual or a collaborating
group can determine its content.  It is offered as a gift to others. In
this spirit, the giver should respect the rights and liberties of the
recipient.

8.      Civic Responsibility

We value civil society. Community members who organize events should
assume responsibility for public welfare and endeavor to communicate
civic responsibilities to participants. They must also assume
responsibility for conducting events in accordance with local, state and federal laws.

9.    Immediacy
Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of
value in our culture.  We seek to overcome barriers that stand between
us and a recognition of our inner selves, the reality of those around
us, participation in society, and contact with a natural world exceeding
 human powers.  No idea can substitute for this experience.

10.     Decommodification
In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to
create social environments that are unmediated by commercial
sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect
our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of
consumption for participatory experience.