[Noisebridge-discuss] Why Consensus Kills Community

Adrian Chadd adrian.chadd at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 19:31:42 UTC 2013

On 14 December 2013 11:21, Mike Schachter <cubicgoats at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that dealing with what you perceive as "oddness" is a part of
> dealing with a diverse set of people at Noisebridge. Sometimes while
> teaching classes, certain individuals come to dominate discussions with
> things that aren't on-topic. 100% of the time they were politely dealt with
> (cut off) and the class continued. I'm not saying that my experience
> teaching classes is the same as what happens at the meetings, only that I
> understand how things can easily be sidetracked during a group meeting.

I'm talking about oddness like someone who was asked to come back to a
Tuesday meeting after anti-social behaviour ending up in a screaming
match, followed by his lawyer making legal threats to everyone there.
Or the discussions around people hiding in spaces to sleep. Or leaving
human crap everywhere. etc.

> I think Madelynn's suggested approach for Freeside-like meetings are viable,
> and in addition all meeting discussions should be heavily moderated,
> enforcing strict time limits for discussions and debates. I'm very
> enthusiastic about the idea of members voting on things remotely as well. If
> I don't go to the meetings, it means I don't have time to go to the
> meetings, it doesn't mean I don't care about Noisebridge.

I've noticed that up in San Francisco and Oakland people are very much
for a lack of imposed authority and freedom to .. well, do whatever
the hell you want.

In some social circles there's a more rigid social hierarchy and set
of expected behaviours that tends to curtail behaviour that's too far
from the norm. Meetings and discussions tend to be different - you end
up with little boat-rocking in an established organisation but with
some unhappy people who don't fit in. So, those spin off and create
new "things" (companies, social groups, spaces, etc.)

I like her suggestions, but I still think it's worth digging into how
much of that works because of the structure and how much of that works
because of the people involved.

-adrian