[Noisebridge-discuss] misogynist loser visiting noisebridge

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Mon Dec 23 20:43:54 UTC 2013

The idea is that the hacker shelves are where you should be able to
put projects that you want to work on for a while, and not have
someone Turn Into A Giant Robot(TM) which is a risk that keeping stuff
in the rest of the space presents. I think all the things you describe
are attempts to protect that idea.

It was mooted at some point that it should just be for members, but
there was disagreement about whether members should really have any
particular privileges.

Usually, when people say things about members and non-members having
different privileges, it's somebody who wants to unofficially
aggrandise some power to themselves, either by claiming they are a
member, or claiming you can't do something because you're not one.
Also, if you're doing something dodgy in the space, it's useful to
claim that you're doing something else  in the name of the members, in
the same way as claiming you're doing something in the spirit of the
ancestors, or the gods. Hence people in the past throwing everybody
out at 3AM by saying it's member only time, even when it wasn't, and
they weren't.

d.