[Noisebridge-discuss] misogynist loser visiting noisebridge

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Mon Dec 23 21:09:50 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Johny Radio <johnyradio at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/23/2013 12:43:54 PM, "Danny O'Brien" <danny at spesh.com> wrote:
>>
>> The idea is that the hacker shelves are where you should be able to
>> put projects that you want to work on for a while.
>

> Thank you Noisebridge, every hacker needs that.
>

>> It was mooted at some point that it should just be for members
>

> then there is a failure of communication, culture, and policy, because in my
> 3 yrs coming to NB, i have ONLY heard that member shelves are for members
> only, and i cannot find any docs stating otherwise.

The best way to understand this is to ask yourself how many rules does
Noisebridge have? If someone asserts that you can or can't do
something at Noisebridge (until recently), the general answer was
there's no *rule* stopping you, but you should try and think about
what people's reactions would be.

>> there was disagreement about whether members should really have any
>> particular privileges.
>

> seems that disagreement was never resolved, and unresolved agreements
> produce confusion and conflict. Seems there's a lot of that at nb. Maybe
> it's time nb resolves its internal disagreements.

A disagreement doesn't mean that there isn't a particular agreement in
place. You're probably right that complexities should be communicated,
but, again, there is an Anciente Preference for the complex and subtle
over the simple rule.

The tarps and so forth are, I think, mainly a result of Rayc having
moved the entire hacker shelves one night in a fit of enthusiasm, and
then having to cope with the criticisms of that action.  The camera is
there because Jake put it there, I think. Jake keeps stuff on the
hacker shelves, and he's not a member. There's a strong cultural
pressure on Noisebridge not to have cameras, but that appears to be
changing. How confusing it all is!

d.