[Noisebridge-discuss] noisebridge visitor / noob policy progress

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 23:16:46 UTC 2013

On 12/23/2013 3:06:54 PM, "Jake" <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
>I don't think we need to automatically keep people out, except with the
>gate which has the potential of working pretty well if it is physically
>maintained more than it is.

The gate does not keep anyone out, whether it's working or not. They
just get buzzed in, or come in when somebody else leaves. Do you
disagree?

>I believe we can and should err on the side of letting people in rather
>than keeping them out. I think the change we need to make is in
>discussing the "right" to be at noisebridge after you have gotten in. I
>want to make noisebridge a welcoming place for newcomers, but once a
>person has been introduced to the space and given the opportunity to
>participate in a good way, including becoming an associate member if
>they want, they will understand that coming to noisebridge is not a
>god-given right regardless of your behavior. After people have found
>the space and learned about it, if they choose to go against our
>community standards in any way, general or specific, the community has
>the right to ask them to leave, without a specific "excuse" like "you
>left food in the kitchen" or "you were caught sleeping".

All you just described is the current status quo. Do you disagree?

>As for your last suggestion, about a process and incentives for
>generating hands-on help in the space, I truly believe that inclusion
>(by the associate membership invitation extended to everyone) and
>improved quality of the space resulting from the new policies will get
>us more people and more hands.

Even without AM's, Nb already HAS radical inclusion. Do you disagree?

Radical inclusion has not produced helpers.  Do you disagree?