[Noisebridge-discuss] Member shelves

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Thu Dec 26 01:46:04 UTC 2013

I've always supported the "Member Tote" instead of "member shelf" idea.
 That way the boxes can be "Secured (tm)", reorganized as needed without a
huge cluster fuck, and the shelves won't be a complete mess.

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 7:53 PM, Oren Beck <orenbeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> Concise and well said but it begs a set of interlocked qualifiers.
> Consensus on EXECUTION of a plan depends on Consensus of Defining it? To be
> honest- I got depressed as hell contemplating the flame games that often
> consume sanity over needful space mandates. Anarchy in ethical abstractions
> FAILS HARD when material objects and the humans owning them conflict.
>
> So: Can we devise "Conflict Avoidance" mechanisms? Both rules and hardware
> implementations:>
>
> Zeroth being that *ALL* items on Member shelves "where possible" shall be
> "within reason" in a "Secured Container" on a Secured Shelf And/or in
> Secured Area.
>
> That or semantically aligned wording "in theory" banishes shedloads of
> dramas.
>
> Secured Container= some box or tote or functional equivalency that can be
> secured by lock or other access control.
>
> Secured shelf=some bar to pilferage controlled by key&or code
>
> Barracking=attempting to use Noisebridge for living/sleeping/storage of
> squatter's bedrolls etc in fashions risky to Noisebridge's smooth
> functioning.
>
> Active member- demonstrated perhaps by updating a "Last Used" sticker on
> the Secured Container.
>
> Wrapup for brevity:
>
> #Shelf items shall be in a Locked Tote etc securely labelled with members
> name+  durable sticker denoting last active date -to determine
> relocate&potential disposal#
>

> Oren Beck
>
> 816.632.3695
>

> On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 2:09 AM, Hannah Grimm <dharlette at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm totally in favor of requiring that X be done within 3 months to
>> indicate that you're still using your shelf, and then purging the shelves
>> after 6 months and throwing out/giving away everything on them.
>>
>> If you can't visit NB once every three months, then you're definitely not
>> an active participant in the physical space who needs a shelf.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
Einstein <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da
Vinci<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Da_Vinci>
Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there
is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint
Exupéry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint_Exup%C3%A9ry>
Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly
Johnson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Johnson>