[Noisebridge-discuss] Rebirth of the metal Noisebridge sign

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Sat Dec 28 06:39:07 UTC 2013

* Al Sweigart <asweigart at gmail.com> [131225 20:35]:
> I like the metal look (it immediately conveys that the sign is solid
> metal, and not just painted over wood). Is there a clear protective
> coat we could give it?

A wax finish can protect steel from oxidization without obscuring the
beauty of raw metal. I used a wax finish (called "Good Stuff" I believe)
on some exhibits I built at the Exploratorium a while back. Last I heard
the "Oxygen Bubbles" exhibit was still on the floor...I used it on that.
Couldn't find anything about "Good Stuff" just now, but here's some
wax-finished-metal info:

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2009-11/secret-beautiful-steel-comes-bowling-alley

> Chrome on the back is a good idea to add to the back-glow.

Simple bright-white paint will reflect more light than siver-ish chrome.

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact