[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] Oppressive Behavior

hep dis at gruntle.org
Mon Dec 30 19:12:45 UTC 2013

I understand that interpretation. There is also the interpretation by
myself, and many other POC to whom I showed the post that all of the
qualifiers (lesbian! hacker! from the streets! comedienne! roleplaying
personality! uses lingo! etc) were to give the person a pass on using a
racial slur, or to somehow diminish the fact that someone straight up used
a racist slur in noisebridge as if that were no big deal and totally
accepted behavior. I have yet to hear if this person actually was asked to
leave and come back to a Tuesday meeting to explain herself. I have yet to
hear if we are going to actively take a stance in noisebridge that the use
of racist slurs is wrong and alienating towards communities of color,
particularly since noisebridge is located in the gentrified remains of one
of the largest native communities of  color that used to exist within San
Francisco. Instead there has been a lot of mealymouthed discussion about,
what exactly IS a slur, and the old cherry of "every word can be offensive
to someone somewhere!!" as if that has any basis as a foundation on which
to protect oppressed classes from facing racial slurs in a supposed
welcoming environment. Yes, the yelling sucks, but I am far more concerned
about the completely blase attitude people are taking about noisebridge
tacitly allowing the use of racial slurs.

-hep

--
hep
hepic photography || www.hepic.net