[Noisebridge-discuss] Laser cutting layers of book pages.

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Sat Feb 9 21:25:33 UTC 2013

Last night, not with Noisebridge's laser, I attempted to cut an alcove
out of the center pages of a very crappy and deteriorating hard back
book to fit some sort of pocket computer/phone like object. There were a
lot of problems that I encountered.

Specifically I could only cut a hand full of sheets before needing to
flip back some of the already cut pages and refocus the laser. Cutting
at a higher power/slower speed wasn't an option as the pages would
easily catch on fire. While flipping pages back and taping them down,
the alignment of the stack of pages I'm lasering would shift around (due
to the spine moving) and so the cut out would happen at an angle, which
sort of sucks if you're making a thing to fit a device snug.

Anyhow, has anyone tried something like this before? Got any tips or
tricks? The only solution I have right now is to rip the binding out (no
easy task without destroying pages) cut layer by layer, rebind the whole
thing.

Thanks.

--
Rubin