[Noisebridge-discuss] Open-source sEMG / EEG / EKG biosensor - Looking for PCB design/layout + firmware help

Alex Grey agrey at somaxis.com
Sat Feb 16 16:28:46 UTC 2013

Hi Noisebridians,

I'm looking for an awesome developer who is good with PCB design, PCB
layout, and firmware programming. To be clear, since this stuff matters,
this is a paid contract. I'm also open to finding someone with an interest
in joining our team long-term, and working for equity, or a combo of cash
and equity. On a related note that is not the main thrust of this email: if
you or someone you know can code apps (iPhone or Android) and is looking
for a project, I am also looking for someone to help on that side of things
too.

We are a small (4 person) team working on an open-source biosensor platform
that measures muscles, heart, and brain activity. We have a working
prototype which is based on the PIC24F micro, and ANT as a wireless
protocol. Check out a demo of our product on
TED<http://talentsearch.ted.com/video/Alexander-Grey-My-muscle-measur>,
and the QS
talk I gave<http://quantifiedself.com/2012/03/alex-grey-on-tracking-muscle-data-emg-ecg/>.
There’s also a link to these in the Videos section of our website at
www.somaxis.com

We want to roll out a few changes:

1. Remove a chip in the AFE that is not currently being used, and
characterize the hardware filter response. Add a digipot for variable gain
controlled by the micro
2. Switch from coin-cell battery to rechargeable Lithium Ion battery, and
add a battery management chip.
3. Switch from ANT chip to BLE.
4. Add a 3-axis accelerometer.
5. Change the board shape from round to rectangular, and minimize the
footprint.
6. Firmware for the micro: several modes. Switch between raw data out, or
metrics for ECG, EEG, EMG. You need to code a state machine that accepts
commands from a smartphone for the sensor to switch modes, band-pass
filters in firmware, digipot control, BLE integration, interface with
battery management chip to get battery life remaining.
7. Add LEDs
8. Add a tiny speaker for basic beeping / alarms (low battery, etc).

This is a short-term contract, but we would like to forge a strong
relationship with an awesome designer who can become a more regular
contractor, or potentially become an employee when we scale up if that is
mutually desired.

Contact agrey at somaxis.com, and cc asun at somaxis.com if you want to help
change the biosensor industry.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion,
Alex