[Noisebridge-discuss] A visit to Noisebridge and info on Gardening with LEDs

Roger S surferdudemi at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 17:08:18 UTC 2013

Had a fun and interesting visit to your space last Thursday, while visiting
friends in the city.  Surprisingly like ours (i3 Detroit) and had a good
discussion with Rob. I mentioned that I would provide some info about LED
plant lighting, so here goes.

Here's a really good place to start:
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grow_light*

Note that someone has actually patented a combination of wavelengths for
growing plants.  Kind of a silly patent, since I think you could vary only
slightly from it, and not violate it, with good results.

This blog:
http://ledgrowlights.blogspot.com/2006/10/wavelengths-in-led-plant-grow-lights.html
Says that you should concentrate on blue wavelengths, even though most grow
lights concentrate on the red end.

Overview article from Michigan State:
http://leds.hrt.msu.edu/assets/Uploads/LEDsInsideGreenhouses.pdf
http://ag.arizona.edu/ceac/sites/ag.arizona.edu.ceac/files/Kubota%20Short%20Course%20Lighting.pdf

More scholarly stuff:
http://www.hort.vt.edu/ghvegetables/documents/GH%20Lighting/High-Powered_LED_Cultivation_Study_2005.pdf

Hope you find this useful.  I'm putting together a page on our wiki to
describe my initial effort:
http://i3detroit.com/wi/index.php?title=LED_Grow_Lights

If anyone is interested, I'd be interested in collaborating on improvements!