[Noisebridge-discuss] Android software developer recommendations?

Anders Nelson anders.k.nelson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 17:17:28 UTC 2013

Hello you wonderful people!

I'm up a fairly thick shit creek concerning an Android software project I
commissioned about 6 weeks ago, scheduled for showing at the
LAUNCH conference March 4. It's a library and companion app that allows any
third-party application to stream video real-time to and control local
playback on Erogear's wearable LED panels.

Since the guy I commissioned isn't even getting back to me, can
someone recommend some Android developers who are capable of using
system-level stuff (Bluetooth, threading)? One important thing to note is
that I have created a proof-of-concept Android app that does everything it
needs to do. It's programmed like garbage because I'm a hardware guy but
after enough button clicks it will send un-mapped video frames to my device
one-by-one. So effectively, I just need someone to rearrange the code to
run properly and efficiently, then package the meat of it into a library
someone else can import in to their program.

Here's the nitty-gritty:

-Create a class that organizes all the necessary functions for a hardware
device (i.e. wearable display panel) into an object developers can import
into their apps.

====================================

Platform:
-Most common Android OS versions currently deployed.

-We have a Galaxy Nexus to test with.

====================================

Local user Interface:

-Real-time preview of source frames and converted output frames. Requires
an instance of FFMPEG, easiest I found is here:
https://github.com/guardianproject/android-ffmpeg#readme

-Simple playback control (play, stop, current frame slider).

-Presence of company logo.

====================================

Hardware device interface object:
-Conversion of standard image frames to 8-bit greyscale, optionally using a
fast optimized algorithm as can be seen here: http://hilbert-space.de/?p=22.

-Application of gamma correction to greyscale pixels (a simple math
function call).

-Real-time, low-latency streaming of converted video over a Bluetooth
RFCOMM connection. A service class already exists for this in our test app.

-Simple API for pushing standard image structures to the object. I.e. pass
a bitmap reference to this class and it appears on the hardware device.

====================================

This application UI does not need to be pretty, only function is necessary
for now. Since we already have this working in a Windows app (C#) and a
hacked Android sample we're expecting to pay $3k-$5k. We will provide
source code for what we have to date.

Any help is appreciated, this mobile software is an enormous priority in
our system.

=]
--
Anders Nelson