[Noisebridge-discuss] [intellectual claptrap] Toward a theory of utilization

Tony Longshanks LeTigre anthonyletigre at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 18:55:47 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 9:01 PM, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com>wrote:

> This touches on an issue that is covered very well on a blog I found
> recently: Veresapiens.
> http://www.veresapiens.org/blog/category/thou-shalt-not-steal/

Thanks for the link, I am going to read this.

> Surely you've seen cases where tenants were driven out and the
> property was vacated, then vandalized -- an eyesore! And to what
> benefit to anyone?

Surely I have. To the financial benefit of the owner / developer / lender &
anyone else that profits in a short-term way from the raised property
value. & absolutely no one else.

> ISTM that if property owners could contract more affordably with
> occupants, the space could be maintained and they could get some
> money. Maybe not the same controlled "market rate," but something
> perhaps much lower; closer to a free market rate.

Let's not hold our collective breath.....I just read (on Zillow or one of
the other real estate sites) that property rates in SF are projected to
increase a *further 10%* beyond their current astronomical level over the
next *year.*

> Such living contract could include such things tenant must keep the
> place clean, deter vandals, mow the lawn, not party, etc. The occupant
> would get a place to live out of the deal! If the red tape could be
> mitigated, you could make a webapp out of that!

This is what I need: to start thinking about ways to make money. I am no
good with money, b/c I don't care about it at all, inherently, & don't
think of providing for the future very well; I don't even promote my own
projects that involve massive amounts of work & detail. Yet I need money
sometimes, like everyone living in our society does, & some recognition
wouldn't hurt, either.

> I don't have an answer or solution to homelessness and housing
> problems.

The weird, beautiful thing is that homelessness—which I initially
experienced as grim & crushing, like death itself—turned out to *be* the
solution to every other problem I'd been having, my whole
not-being-able-to-make-it-work-for-myself-here-in-the-City struggle. I'm
not advocating six months of living on the street for everyone, just
reporting what happened to me & the miraculous transformation that occurred
as a result. Over the past year & a half, for the first time in my adult
life, I've been able to go where & do what I want, work on exactly the
projects I most want to work on all the time, basically enjoy & feel
fulfilled by my life for the first time....EVER. I know I've done some
f****d up things & am no saint, either. I came from a pretty dark road &
have a lot of healing to do, but for the first time that actually seems
possible. This is what I'm exploring in this writing + database project of
mine. (Where the quote that started this thread comes from.)

Speaking of, if anyone reading this is good with MySQL, I could really use
help with this big project I have. It involves converting a series of Excel
spreadsheets into a customized db, w/ UI front-end of some kind. I
downloaded MySQL for Mac OS X & have a couple book tutorials, but I'm a
total n00b & not even w/ a programming background—too bad, 'cause I think I
was "born to code."

All for now,

+11+

Editor/co-creator