[Noisebridge-discuss] [intellectual claptrap] Toward a theory of utilization

Garrett Smith dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 21:49:32 UTC 2013

On 2/21/13, Tony Longshanks LeTigre <anthonyletigre at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 9:01 PM, Garrett Smith
> <dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com>wrote:

[...]
> Surely I have. To the financial benefit of the owner / developer / lender &
> anyone else that profits in a short-term way from the raised property
> value. & absolutely no one else.

Well I'm mad about that, too.

>> ISTM that if property owners could contract more affordably with
>> occupants, the space could be maintained and they could get some
>> money. Maybe not the same controlled "market rate," but something
>> perhaps much lower; closer to a free market rate.
>>

> Let's not hold our collective breath.....I just read (on Zillow or one of
> the other real estate sites) that property rates in SF are projected to
> increase a *further 10%* beyond their current astronomical level over the
> next *year.*

And then rather than trying to rectify the situation with ARM lenders
(banks) and flippers, the gov't creates a city-funded* housing project
in place of the city-funded Hayes Valley Farm. And if it doesn't work
out, they'll tear it down like the last one. The government is like
jQuery, in a sense. Everyone thinks they need a centralized,
generalized solution, without actually looking at specific problem at
hand, it causes more long term harm than good, and they're always
using it to try to fix a problem that they create themselves.

>> Such living contract could include such things tenant must keep the
>> place clean, deter vandals, mow the lawn, not party, etc. The occupant
>> would get a place to live out of the deal! If the red tape could be
>> mitigated, you could make a webapp out of that!
>>

> This is what I need: to start thinking about ways to make money. I am no
> good with money, b/c I don't care about it at all, inherently, & don't
> think of providing for the future very well; I don't even promote my own
> projects that involve massive amounts of work & detail. Yet I need money
> sometimes, like everyone living in our society does, & some recognition
> wouldn't hurt, either.

I'm laughing because that's my problem exactly.

I'm not entirely certain that such project would make money; I'm more
interested in what it could do for the world.

[about being homeless]

Thanks for sharing that.

> Speaking of, if anyone reading this is good with MySQL, I could really use
> help with this big project I have. It involves converting a series of Excel
> spreadsheets into a customized db, w/ UI front-end of some kind. I
> downloaded MySQL for Mac OS X & have a couple book tutorials, but I'm a
> total n00b & not even w/ a programming background—too bad, 'cause I think I
> was "born to code."

What project? You might get more interest by putting up a wikispaces page.

I myself need db and data layer help. I've two other ideas for projects:
1) PublicGrowing.org - Register and claim publicly accessible spaces
for growing food (see also: http://public-growing.wikispaces.com/

2) VoluntaryList.org - Think Bitcoin meets Craigslist but with real
Users. (w/a slip hint at the term "Voluntaryist" in its name)

For both, I need to get some help with getting setup. NodeJitsu has
free hosting for open source projects and I'm slightly inclined
towards using Node + NoSQL.

After a prototype is done, there can be a kickstarter.
--
Garrett
Twitter: @xkit