[Noisebridge-discuss] FOIA Request for records pertaining to Noisebridge

gardner gardner at invulnerable.org
Fri Feb 22 19:27:36 UTC 2013

 Hi Ping,

   In the past, I have found that the best way to attract unwanted
 surveillance attention was to seek nuclear fuel to create an autonomous
 trans-oceanic submarine that would smuggle tens of thousands of pounds
 of cocaine across international borders while remaining undetected from
 all but the most happenstance of coincident. Hah! Just kidding. You want
 to prove the FBI is lying. Not do something illegal to then be sure that
 the FBI would have records.

 Now in all seriousness: Do you have reasonable cause to believe that
 the FBI has a file on Noisebridge? That wifi AP labeled "FBI
 Surveillance Van" was a joke.

 If you do have a reasonable suspicion then the bad news is that if the
 FBI did have anything on NB then it is probably classified under some
 cyber-security-paranoid-asshole secret level and the FBI would have no
 problem straight-up violating the FOIA using some (probably secret)
 interpretation of a recent law that any reasonable person would agree is
 totally ludicrous and unconstitutional. The burden of proof then falls
 on you. You will experience success appealing when you have reasonable
 proof that the response from the FBI is incorrect. The support of
 lawyers could not hurt. Lawyers generally hang out at the EFF, NLG,
 ACLU, and ACLU Northern California.

 Chances are the things that are of interest to the powers that be are
 handled by other TLAs which operate under different grants of (probably
 illegal) power.

 -g