[Noisebridge-discuss] why a "wake" at No Starch?

Bill Pollock bill at nostarch.com
Tue Jan 15 18:32:30 UTC 2013

Some people have asked why No Starch Press is having a wake for Aaron
Swartz. (I’m thinking of it as a very brief shiva, but I’m not a
family member.)

Aaron’s sudden and tragic passing has touched us all. Even my
neighbors and friends with no direct connection to the hacking
community have been shocked by this event.

I’m having this event (call it a wake, remembrance, shiva, whatever)
for my friends like Quinn, Cory, Meredith, Len, and so many others in
the hacking community. For participants in our Geeks & Depression
meetups last year. For my neighbors and others around me who have been
touched by this tragedy. For young hackers like my son Josh, and his
nerdy friends. For geeeks, nerds, and misfits everywhere. For
passionate people who want to make a difference and who sometimes do
it their way even if that way is controversial.

I hope that people will have similar events in many places, both large
and small. We all need a time to share, grieve, and reflect. I hope to
offer a bit of that time.

Our doors open from 7:00-10:00pm on Wednesday, January 15. I have some
snacks and alcohol (we always do at shiva). All are welcome. Bring
something to share if you like, or something that reminds you of Aaron
or others we have lost.

--
William Pollock, Founder
No Starch Press